Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins has been the dominant defenceman in the league over the past five years. He is the tallest player ever to play in the NHL, and his height, reach, and sheer physical strength make him an intimidating figure for opposing forwards to face. He is capable of tossing aside checkers with a single forearm blow and is almost impossible to knock off his feet; additionally, Chara has the hardest slap shot in the world and is a skillful passer and puck handler.
- Born: Trencin, Czechoslovakia, 1977
- Height/weight: 206 cm (6’9″) / 116 kg (255 lbs)
- Position: defence
- NHL teams: New York Islanders, Ottawa Senators, Boston Bruins
- Drafted: 1996 by New York Islanders (56th overall)
- Awards (selected): James Norris Memorial Trophy (best defenceman) – 2009; Mark Messier Leadership Award – 2011; NHL All-Star Game Hardest Shot Competition – 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012